The average cost to hire a pest control company in the U.S. averages between $109 to $284, depending on the issue. If you wait too long and let infestations grow, though, serious damage may occur, and you could end up spending much more money controlling and preventing bugs.
Since winter is approaching, it’s important to know the best ways to winter-proof your home in relation to pests.
- Replace any and all loose mortar and weather stripping around all your windows and around the foundation of your basement.
- You should keep all your firewood at least 20 feet from your home and a few feet up in the air. Bugs can nest inside piles of woods and easily enter into your home if you keep the pile too close to your house.
- Focus on ventilation to keep pests from thriving inside your home environment. Make sure your attic, basement, and all small spaces are properly ventilated. Make sure to ventilate your chimney as well, which can provide sufficient ventilation throughout your home.
- Take a look at the outside of your home and inspect every inch of your property to the best of your ability. If you notice any issues, seal the holes and cracks to your home’s structure. Make sure to double-check all the areas of your home where pipes and other utilities are attached because insects can easily get through these points.
- Don’t forget about your storage sheds and garages. These areas typically accumulate the most amount of clutter on your property. Pests can hide in the clutter of a garage and eventually make their way to your home, causing more damage. Keep these areas as clean as possible in order to prevent the spreading of insects.
- Clean up all moisture areas and pay special attention to your bathroom and kitchen, as these are popular areas for insects to swarm.
Although you can do a few of these yourself, if you really want to rid your home of these unwanted pests, you should contact an experienced pest control company and hire an exterminator to come to your home and perform proper pest control services.