No one wants pests inside their home. A pest infestation can not only gross out members of your family, certain pests can actually cause real damage to the structural integrity of your house. In order to protect your family and your home, as well as save a significant amount of money on repair costs, you need to focus on preventing these pests from entering your home -- and getting rid of them immediately if they do make it inside.
The best way to do that is by working with professional exterminators. There are quality pest control services available that can help keep your home secure, pest free, and avoid all the additional stress that comes along with bug problems.
One of the worst pest issues homeowners face is termites. In addition to knowing when to call professional exterminators, it might help to know some more information about these unwanted bugs. Here are a few interesting facts about termites:
- Termites damage roughly 600,000 homes every year across the United States.
- There are 45 different species of termites in the U.S. alone and over 2,300 worldwide termite species.
- Termites have existed on earth for more than 250 million years.
- It's estimated that there are 1,000 pounds of termites around the world for every human being.
- A termite mound is a structure that houses a colony of termites, and one of the largest known mounds in the world was approximately 42 feet tall (the size of a two-story house).
- Larger termite mounds can house over 3 million bugs.
- African termites can grow to five inches long and an African termite queen can lay up to 30,000 eggs a day.
- Termites never sleep and work 24 hours a day.
- Subterranean termites are found in every state in the U.S. except for Alaska.
- Worker termites search for food up to 250 feet away from their colony.
If you have a termite issue or any other pest problem, it's important that you act right away. Give Dixon Pest Services a call today and start taking your home back.